Typ 2,5 - 32 (1.5 to)
WWII German light Truck
This is a light truck by Opel, and it looks somewhat light a dwarf version of the Opel Blitz, with a load rating of half of the Blitz's 3-ton capacity. The 1.5 ton truck was manufactured from 1938 to 1942, and again from 1946 to 1952. During WW2, it was used on every front, but was rarely seen in photos, despite production of 10,000 trucks. I really struggled to find 'in action' pictures of the Typ 2,5-32 truck, and my references were limited to factory photos and shots of preserved vehicles.
What is clear is that there has been a lot of variation in minor details of the bodywork, and that several different designs of tilt have been used over time. The ICM kit is an outstanding representation of the truck, and assembles with no difficulty.
Inside the box
This being a relatively simple truck, the sprues need little comment:
The radiator grille is good, but lacks the hole for the starting handle - easily added with a tiny slice of plastic tube:
The tires are moulded in soft 'rubber', but they have no significant mould seam or other issues. In fact, I simply slipped them on at the end of construction, as the final step. I gently sanded the faces (not the tread) to remove a slight ridge on the surface, but this was a very simple process:
The clear plastic parts are excellent, and fit into the outside of the cab, which allows for them to be added at the end
of the process. The only glitch is that the side windows lack the vertical bar to separate the front and rear portion of the window. I added this strip by cutting a thin sliver of electrical tape and adding this on each window. The decals are pretty uninspiring 'unidentified unit' style, and I chose alternatives for the unit signs. I used the kit number plates to test the decals, and they are fine!
Let battle commence!
Assembly is very easy, and progressed without difficulty. The chassis has a detailed engine, of which nothing is seen after fitting the hood.
Several points to note. First, the exhaust pipe is far too thin, and after taking this photo I replaced it with with thicker rod bent to shape and drilled out at the end. Second, I did not glue the cargo bed to the model until final assembly, because it is much easier to paint and weather it separately from the truck. The fit is so good that it just popped into place after the model was complete. And last, if you want to open the hood, the engine can be detailed. Amazingly, the engine is the same as fitted to the Kapitan car, and the truck can't have been very powerful!
The cab is an area where I thought I could add some detail. My advice is not to bother. Absolutely nothing of the work can be seen in the model, despite my best efforts. This is the cab:
The rear cargo bed is a simple construction, and everything fits a treat. I drilled out the tubes for the tilt supports, and added a few details to the latches on each corner.
I felt that the tool clips needed some improvement, and I used photos along with my knowledge of these standard items to work on this extra detailing.
Going off piste
Looking for photos of these light trucks in service, I noticed that every one had the tilt in place. Assuming that the reader can imagine this model with no tilt, I decided to try something new - I'd make my own tilt! The first step was to work out the shape from photos, and get the height correct:
Then a solid framework was constructed inside the cargo bed, ready for a tissue paper covering:
And here we go:
The model needed very little additional work. I added a jack from my spares box, as these seem to be a standard item on the right side running board. Aside from that, no extra details required. Working from an interesting set of photos, I decided that my truck would be pulling a 37mm Pak gun. My photos suggest that this was a common combo, so I used Archer dry transfers for an infantry division (30 I.D.) towed anti-tank company. I love the infantry division signs!
The yellow triangle indicates that the truck has a trailer - the triangle is folded down when there is nothing being towed.
Only just visible, I copied the rear mudguard support plates using thinner plastic card. This improved the look slightly.
These transfers are from various Archer sets, but most modelers will have a stash of suitable alternatives. The kit decals are great, but do not identify particular units.
All my efforts to detail the cab were wasted, as nothing much is visible! Note the vertical divider added to the side window, using a strip of electrical tape.
With hindsight, the brass aftermarket tool clips are too large, and I should have made my own....
It would be difficult to find any criticism of this kit, other than wishing that all truck kits came with a tilt! The kit from ICM is absolutely brilliant, and it goes together a treat.
Very highly recommended
Huge thanks to Squadron Products for the review sample
Reviewed by Chris Lloyd-Staples, 2VP (International)