AMPS is all about armor modeling and the preservation of armor and mechanized heritage.

Takom-Krupp Raumer+Vs.Kfz.617

Kit Number:
Monday, March 29, 2021
Retail Price:
Reviewed By:
Merrick "Mac" Johnston

Takom Raumer and Vs. Kfz. 617 Mine Rollers  

Vs.Kfz. 617 Build:  

This mine roller is big in real life but in this kit quite small. So the steps in building it aren’t very many.  

Step 1, 4 and 5:

The first step is building the lower hull assembly. There are only seven parts to it!     

This is the lower hull and the turret without any parts attached.          

I jumped ahead and I’m showing the complete hull and turret without the wheels attached. There were two pieces of etch for the exhaust cover supplied in the kit.  

The detail so far was excellent. The machine gun tips were a little deformed at the ends. I did try to repair them but they’re so small they basically ended up just rounded. I couldn’t drill them out.  

Steps 2 and 3:  

These two steps are the assembly of the three wheel assemblies. I saved these till last as they had a few glitches.    

The front wheels come in four parts not counting the pads. The outside chain links need some trimming as they all have these burrs sticking out from them. They clean up easily, but they need to be cleaned smooth to the parts for fitting purposes.  

These are the two front wheels all completed. The pads snap on and will float if not glued in place.  

There is a small seam in the middle of the pads that will need a small dab of filler.          

This is where the ugly is. The steer wheel is a mess with the seams. I filled the yoke seams with super glue and then filler so it would prevent sinking. The pads were puttied like with the front wheels. These were a little worse.        

This is the steer wheel assembled and ready for primer. I had just a few more pads to sand before that step.      

It would also appear after looking closer at the pivot area, that Takom left the chain attachment area intact for that to be added if the builder chooses to use it. Although not supplied in the kit, I added one. It seemed pretty important to have this feature. I drilled the two holes in the hull and provided the small chain from the parts box to add it.  


Krupp Raumer Build:

  Steps 8 and 9:  

The first two steps in this build are the assembly of the two main modules. These are identical in all ways, so far.  

   These are the main parts in making a module, minus the wheel mounts.      

These are the two modules in their basic forms. The detail is very nice.    

The rear of the module with the cooling louvers and exhaust installed.      

The top view of a module showing the hatch and bolt detail.  

Step 10:  

This step is the building of the hydraulic steering mechanism.  

The mating of the modules is thru this pivot assembly. It is a hydraulic system and is fully movable.  

Step 11:

This step adds the four wheels to the modules. It is noteworthy to watch the attaching points when doing this. One pair is wider than the other. The wheels are made in two halves and are made with the pads all attached. I did add a little putty on the pad seams.                                    

The Finished Products:    

These are all the parts in their sub assemblies in the booth primed and waiting paint.   The Vs.Kfz.617 was the easiest to paint. The Krupp was another venture.      




These are two photos of the finished Vs.Kfz.617. I painted it German Grey. I kept it simple as the only survivor is very plain. I used Tamiya paint and flats through out the process. I did some pre-shading and a little color modulation on the roller. A little MIG pigment was added along with an oil pinwash. No markings were used based on the way it was found at Kummersdorf in 1945.      

Krupp Raumer:  

This vehicle was the hardest one to paint of the two. I chose to pick the What If scenario from Berlin 1945. The one module was easy as it was just one color. The other one wasn’t so easy.  The splinter camo was a little awkward as the scheme was very hard to follow. If you look at the green on the pattern, for example in the top photo, the pattern doesn’t match the front view. I guessed at the pattern and maybe how it might have been and I’m happy with the results. I used the decals pictured in that scheme.              

The above four photos are the final results of my build. It is certainly an odd vehicle. Again, I used Tamiya products throughout. The decals went down perfectly. I used Micro Sol to set them. I also did an oil wash and very little Mig pigments.      

Final Thoughts:

These two kits were a blast to build. The only defect that had noticeable issues were the wheel pads on the 617. Other than that, the detail throughout was excellent as was the fit of the parts. The other cool thing is that they’re 1/72 scale!!  

I’ve seen the 1/35 scale Krupp and it’s huge. These two smaller kits fit into one small box. That’s a nice bonus.    These kits are absolutely fun in every way. Whether you’re a beginner or an advanced builder you should enjoy building them. The detail is very good as is the fit of the parts. Takom has done a fantastic job with these” little” guys. Other than the wheel issue, I would still give them a highly recommended based on all the other qualities of the kits.              


These are two sites one can visit and get some info about these two rollers.        

Highly Recommended for Beginner to Advanced builders.

Thanks goes out to Takom for this review kit.

Reviewed by Merrick "Mac" Johnston


If you liked this review, consider joining AMPS. Your annual membership
includes six copies of AMPS's magazine, Boresight,
and helps to support our ongoing reviews.

Click here for more information about joining AMPS